March 22, 2013 40 Comments
Bloggiesta is organised by Suey from It’s All About Books and 1st Daughter of There’s A Book. Bloggiesta is an online event for (book) bloggers in which we are encouraged to spend the next three days working on our blog in any way we see necessary. We Plan, Edit, Develop, Review and Organise – no wonder our mascot is called PEDRO! Olé!
Hurray! It’s Bloggiesta time! I’m all ready for it. For 3 days we’re going to give our blogs a technical and artistic check-up, take it apart and put it back together again. This is a popular event amongst book bloggers so you may come across a few other bloggiesta-blogs this weekend.
I’ve got two blogs and will do some work on each: Leeswammes (LW) – which is my English-language Book blog and De Boekblogger (BB) – which is my Dutch-language book blog. Actually, I use Bloggiesta to work on anything related to books, reading, and reviewing, so some of the things I’ll be doing this weekend are not directly related to the blogs.
Here’s what’s in the planning….
Small, quick items:
- DONE - Back-up blog (LW, BB). In WordPress, go to Dashboard, Tools, Export, choose All (first option). Backup failed for me – it seems my total number of data is too big now. I chose All Posts, and then only since January 3013 (I had backed up the blog regularly anyway).
- DONE - Add links in reviews (since February 4th), to reviews by same author (LW, BB)
- DONE - Email author of DNF book
- DONE - Reply to review requests (email)
- DONE - Ask for review books
- DONE - Shelfari – Update reviews (already written and on blog).
- DONE - Adapt menu above blog (LW)
- DONE - Send links of blog posts (reviews) to publishers
- DONE - Update reviews list Dutch challenge (BB)
Items taking more time:
- DONE - Do at least 2 mini-challenges. Not actually completed but I had the Google Reader item on my list anyway.
- DONE - Update Reviews page (since February 4th) (LW, BB)
- DONE - Shelfari – update “now reading” books – write small reviews where needed and move to “read”.
- DONE - Sort out alternative for Google reader (see emails, blog posts, and mini-challenge) -> I finally got it!!! First, Bloglovin’ didn’t seem handy as I didn’t see how you could subscribe to comment feeds (Atom) – you probably can but I only figured out how when I was playing with Feedly (in Chrome). In Chrome, first you need an RSS feed extension that will appear on the right in the address bar (duh, I should have figured that out ages ago). With it, you can subscribe to blogs and comments (on individual posts). Download Feedly. When you have that RSS button in the address bar (e.g., when your visiting a blog that you can subscribe to), right-click on the button, choose Options, Add, enter Feedly as description and as URL enter this: http://www.feedly.com/home#subscription/feed/%s%5Baction.subscribe Save and then you can subscribe to a site with Feedly in Chrome. Phew!
- DONE - New Arrivals (LW)
- DONE - Ditjes & Datjes (BB)
- DONE - New Books (BB)
- DONE - Review Schreiber
- DONE -Review Grant
- DONE - Review Ariely
- DONE - Finish Noordervliet
- Review Noordervliet
- First chapters post
- Blogoversary post
- March overview (BB)
- DONE - March overview (LW)
Part of the fun of Bloggiesta is connecting with other bloggers so I expect to spend some amount of time tweeting (#bloggiesta) and reading other people’s posts and commenting.
Good luck to everybody who is taking part. If you’re on Twitter, use the hashtag #bloggiesta to keep in touch with other participants. I am @leeswammes.
Could your blog use some extra work?