Bloggiesta – 1st Update (Friday)
January 21, 2011 12 Comments
Bloggiesta is organised by Natasha from Maw Book Blog. Natasha says: “it’s a blogging marathon. A opportunity to cross those nagging items off of your to-do list and improve your blog while in the good company of other awesome bloggers doing the same thing. Our awesome mascot Pedro (Plan. Edit. Develop. Review. Organize) is ready to break out the nachos, enchiladas, drinks, mariachi music and whack a pinata or two! It’s nothing short of an awesome fiesta!”
This is my first update. I’ve been working on Bloggiesta for 6.5 hours now. I planned to do 8 hours today, and it’s 9pm now, so I’m not sure if I’ll quite make it.
On my first post about bloggiesta you can see the more-than-arm’s-length list of items I want to tackle during Bloggiesta. Below you can see what I’ve already done.
I haven’t got the nacho chips out yet – but I will soon. Together with some guacamole. Olé!
Tiss is what I did so far (6.5 hours)
Small, quick items:
- Write review policy (LW): https://leeswammes.wordpress.com/review-policy/
- Back-up blog (LW, BB): Done.
- Clean up side bar (LW): removed Japanese Literature Challenge button (as I’m unfortunately not going to finish this), and added Daily Post button.
- Update Reviews page with links (LW): added links to 6 recent reviews
- Display email address /email link (LW, BB): And also added a little bit of info about myself in the side bar
- Define rating system (LW, BB): Only for the LW blog. That’s enough for now.
Items taking more time:
- Dig up business plan from last Bloggiesta and update: I’m doing more or less everything it says in the business plan already. Hurray! Only suggestion is to add home-made pictures of books more often to make it more personal-looking.
- Change blog name (LW): still thinking….
- Do at least 3 mini-challenges (incl. overlap with own items) (LW, BB): worked on Kathleen @ SMS Book Reviews button challenge but didn’t get very far with this. My favicon is below, but I’m not keen; also did Tasha @ Truth, Freedom, Beauty and Book‘s friendly challenge: I proofread Graasland’s new blog post and helped some people on Twitter (or tried to). I also did Jackie @ Farmlane Books‘ blog backup. Furthermore, I did Jennifer at Girlsgonereading’s mini-challenge and added a review policy to my blog AND Pam at Bookalicious‘ minichallenge to add a review policy.
- Eye-grabbing picture on home page (LW): Used a picture from Flickr and cropped it
- Prepare button for Bolano read-a-long (LW): Managed this with picnik.com (using book cover picture, see below. It’s not certain it’s going to be March, so I made another button for April)
- Get stars or other for rating system (LW): got individual images for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 stars, and an overview for the sidebar (see below). It’s in my side bar now.
- Look into copyright disclaimer (LW, BB): with help of Chinoiseries and Uniflame AND the minichallenge of Pam. It’s at the bottom of my side bar.
Prepare posts for next week:
- Review (Harvest) (LW): Only had to type up my written notes!
That’s not so bad! I thought I wasn’t getting anywhere at hour 4, as I had a lot of hassle with the icons for the rating system. But it’s done!🙂
Good luck to everybody who is taking part. If you’re on Twitter, use the hashtag #bloggiesta to keep in touch with other participants. I am @leeswammes.