April 25, 2015 16 Comments
It’s almost time to start the 24 Hour Read-a-thon! Over 1,500 (!) book bloggers and other book lovers all over the world will be reading as much as they can within 24 hours. Some will read 6 hours, some will try and read the full 24 hours.
Everyone starts at the same time, 12 GMT, which is 2pm for me here in the Netherlands. I do need my sleep, but I will try and read for 16-18 hours.
This is what I’ll be reading from:
[Finished] An Amorous Discourse in the Suburbs of Hell by Deborah Levy – A short one to keep the spirits up.
[Finished] The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami – Another short one, for my East-Asian month.
Boo by Neil Smith – A YA novel, looks like an easy-going read.
[Finished] The Subprimes by Karl Taro Greenfeld – Dystopia (which I love) and looks good fun.
[Abandoned for now] Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong – My oldest unread book in the TBR and for my East-Asian month.
[Reading] The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – Got it from fellow readathoner Ciska and it sounds great.
Light and Dark by Satsume Soseki – For my East-Asian month, already over 100 pages in, I’m planning to read a few short chapters every few hours.
No, I will NOT be able to read all of those but it gives me a bit of choice. The book I’ll start with is
Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong
I took a shelfie for the Book Monsters‘ mini-challenge! I have more books that that, but these are my favorite shelves.
Hour 17 – After reading and sleeping
I slept from 01.00 (hour 11) to 0.630 (hour 16/17) and now I’m ready to read some more.
I read in bed last night and at breakfast and this is the score:
I read 15 pages of The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Total pages after 17 hours: 572
After ten-and-a-half hours of reading
Well, I’m in bed by now! It’s 12.30 am here in the Netherlands.
I finished The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (96 pages)
I started The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (12 pages)
Total pages after 10.5 hours: 557
After nine hours of reading
I read 160 pages of The Subprimes by Karl Taro Greenfeld and finished it.
Now reading The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami
Total pages after 9 hours: 449
After six hours of reading
I read 112 pages of The Subprimes by Karl Taro Greenfeld
I also had dinner (it’s now 8 pm here) and although the sun is shining, I’ll just keep reading rather than going for a walk.
Total pages after 6 hours: 289
After three hours of reading
I read 95 pages of Wolf Totem, but put it aside for now. It’s a great book, but the story line isn’t strong and I prefer more of a page turner for the read-a-thon. So, I’ll continue reading this, but not now.
I read An Amorous Discourse in the Suburbs of Hell by Deborah Levy (72 pages)
Total pages after 3 hours: 167
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I’m reading from the Netherlands.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I’m especially looking forward to The Subprimes, a dystopian book – I love dystopia!
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I got some store-bought potato salad that is really terrible, paint-stripping stuff, but I love it!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I have my own book editing business so I get to read ALL THE TIME (and I still wanted to join in the readathon – there’s nothing better than that!)
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? I’ll do what I always do: read, eat, blog, and tweet!
Are you participating? What will you be reading?
Please leave a link to your starting post so I can easily find you.